Paper Clips
April 25 was Yom Hashoah which is a day dedicated to remembering the victims of the holocaust and honoring the survivors.
In honor of the day, I saw an emotional movie that I will never forget. It is titled "Paper Clips." This real-life documentary was shown on HBO this week and is also available on DVD. It began as a lesson about prejudice. What happened next was a miracle. Because the movie is about middle school children, it is a perfect venue for teaching the Holocaust to children. Check out the details on line. Truly amazing.
This is copied from the movie website:
Whitwell, TN is a small, rural community of less than two thousand people nestled in the mountains of Tennessee. Its citizens are almost exclusively white and Christian. In 1998, the children of Whitwell Middle School took on an inspiring project, launched out of their principal's desire to help her students open their eyes to the diversity of the world beyond their insulated valley. What happened would change the students, their teachers, their families and the entire town forever… and eventually open hearts and minds around the world.
PAPER CLIPS is the moving and inspiring documentary film that captures how these students responded to lessons about the Holocaust-with a promise to honor every lost soul by collecting one paper clip for each individual exterminated by the Nazis. Despite the fact that they had previously been unaware of and unfamiliar with the Holocaust, their dedication was absolute. Their plan was simple but profound. The amazing result, a memorial railcar filled with 11 million paper clips (representing 6 million Jews and 5 million gypsies, homosexuals and other victims of the Holocaust) which stands permanently in their schoolyard, is an unforgettable lesson of how a committed group of children and educators can change the world one classroom at a time.

11 Comments:
Thank you Puffy.
The Holocaust is such a chilling and dark time that can never be forgotten. I will check out the HBO website to see if it will be shown again.
I wish that some segments of our society would learn more about the Holocaust and the victims. Tolerance is the most important thing to learn.
Oh, I remember reading about that back in '98, and seeing some clips about it on TV then. The story was amazing and would make a marvelous documentary! I don't get HBO so I would have to look for it on DVD.
It took place from around 1998-2002 and they collected over 30 million paper clips. Many of the paper clips they collected came with a poignant story. Swami, do try to find it on DVD. I think you'll like the movie. I'm surprised that I had never heard of the project before now.
Yeah, when I saw the news story on the paperclip collection there was no railway car, just a huge pile of clips, maybe on a gym floor?, and the story was how the kids were getting more and more drawn into the project and how long they thought it might take to collect 11 million of them.
I'm glad to know the kids did it!
I heard about this movie years ago, about how moving it is.
I'll look to see if our local rental place has it, I think it would be important for my child to see it.
I just reread Eli Wiesel's "Night" and this time? I could not stomach it. I could not get through it. I always found spirit and beauty in his words-- even if these words painted a horrific landscape.
Thanks Puffy. I want to see this.
Monsty, there is spirit and beauty in this documentary. Buggy, let me know if you see the film.
I rented this DVD a couple of months back. It was quite amazing. I couldn't believe the amount of knowledge that the students in that small town mastered in order to be able to talk about their project to visitors. It was nice to see that even though the townsfolk were pretty much a homogenous bunch that they welcomed people that they initially perceived to be so different from them into their community.
I've heard of this and now it's my mission to see it. Sounds beautiful.
I remember hearing about this also. I'll look for the DVD.
Darn. I was aware of the story and have been wanting to see the movie. Didn't realize they were showing it last week. I'll have to watch for it.
Post a Comment
<< Home