Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Puff Daddy


Puff's Daddy died last Friday afternoon. I already miss him so much. I wanted to post a picture of me as a little girl with him and I CAN'T FIND ONE! I know there are pictures of us that I will have to find at his house. There is a "Puff" photo album from my childhood somewhere.

The funeral was a beautiful tribute to my dad. Various people, from different aspects of his life, spoke of their relationship with him. This is what my daughter said:

A hero does not always wear a cape.
A hero is not necessarily famous, or even well-known.
A hero is someone who might be found speaking from a podium, leading the charge, out in front of the troops.

Our hero might have been found on the square-dance floor, or maybe dealing out a hand of bridge. He might have been found behind the wheel of an RV full of grandkids, or he might have been listening to you with one ear, and Vin Scully with the other.
Our hero was most likely found probably taking the family out for frozen yogurt (never ice cream), or welcoming you to his house with cookies that had been stored safely in the freezer. He shared his homemade bran muffins with anyone who would try one.

Our hero passed on his values by sending his grandchildren to Israel. He passed on his love of baseball by sharing his theories on the Dodger’s latest trades. Our hero didn’t need to leave his mark with fancy words or long speeches.
Like any true hero, he has left his mark on our hearts.

29 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 6:46 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

{{{hugs}}} Puffy

thinking of you

 
At 3/22/2006 7:08 AM, Blogger Swami said...

Oh Puffy, I'm so sorry! {{{hugs}}}
Your daughter sounds very wise.

 
At 3/22/2006 7:37 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

*hugs* I'm sorry, Puffy. I know you have wonderful memories and I hope those will comfort you. Remember, take some people up on all that help they are probably offering right now. It will help ease your stress and give you time to grieve.

 
At 3/22/2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Lasann said...

Sits with Puffy with arm around her. Lean on me for awhile.

 
At 3/22/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Sigh, nice hugs, Nutz and Lasann. Feels very comforting. Yes, Swami, she is wise, mature, and sweet. Kim, I've accepted a few offers of help with food, setting up, cleaning up, etc. and my friends have been lifesavers. Excellent suggestion.

 
At 3/22/2006 9:59 AM, Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

{{ hugs }} and my deepest condolences to both you and Mr. Puffy.

 
At 3/22/2006 12:19 PM, Blogger mtw said...

Puffy, thanks for making my eyes well up with tears. What a beautiful tribute your daughter gave to her grandfather.

I know one day I'll have to face the prospect of my dad leaving and it will be a difficult time. I can't imagine what you're going through right now, but at least you know we're all thinking happy thoughts for you.

{{{HUGS}}} to you Puff Girl

 
At 3/22/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

I am deeply sorry for you Puffy. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Puff girl's tribute was beautiful. I am sure you will find the picture. Just give it time.

Big huggs.

 
At 3/22/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Thanks CSTL, MTW and Zombs. After reading Monsty's post about the Red Sox, it'll be difficult to go through baseball season this year without my dad. He was a true-blue Dodger fan.

 
At 3/22/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Oh dear.

*hugs* for you, Puffy.

 
At 3/23/2006 5:18 AM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I'm sorry, Puffy.

***hugs***

 
At 3/23/2006 12:06 PM, Blogger mm said...

I'm so sorry Puffy.

{{hugs}}

(everyone else has conveyed my thoughts so much better than I could have)

 
At 3/23/2006 1:27 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

*BIG HUGS* Puffy sweetie, I'm so very sorry. My deepest sympathies to you and Mr. Puffy and your whole family. Your daughter's tribute was very touching. *sniffle* So so sorry. You're in my thoughts!

 
At 3/23/2006 2:04 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Awwww, Puff, I'm so sorry. *hugs*

 
At 3/23/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Seana, HD, NN (yes, NN, not MM), Nookie, and Carey-thanks for the hugs. I can never get enough hugs, unless they're from blue-haired, dentured, old ladies with B.O. who smell like mothballs.

 
At 3/24/2006 6:34 AM, Blogger momma said...

*hugs*

I'm sorry, Puffy.

 
At 3/24/2006 6:43 AM, Blogger Swami said...

*brings Puffy a platter of sliced cheese and cold cuts*

Protein is good.

 
At 3/24/2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Emily RugBurn said...

My deepest sympathies, Puffy.

I am so very sorry.

 
At 3/24/2006 6:18 PM, Blogger arkie said...

{{{Hugs}}}

 
At 3/24/2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Thanks, Momma, Auntie Em, and Arkie. Swami--yum yum on the cheese and cold cuts. Do you have any pickles?

 
At 3/25/2006 5:19 AM, Blogger yvonne said...

I am so sorry, Puffy. I think both of our dads were cut from the same cloth. My dad is my hero, too.

*hugs* and *blessings* for you and your family.

 
At 3/26/2006 11:50 AM, Blogger Monstah said...

Oh no, Puffy. I am so, so sorry. Your daughter's word were beautiful. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

*big hugs*

 
At 3/27/2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Buggy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father passing, Puffy.

Much HUGS and Love to you and yours.

 
At 3/27/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger moon said...

Puffy, I'm so sorry-I just found out from Bug's blog. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
*hug*

 
At 3/28/2006 7:16 AM, Blogger Silvergirl said...

I'm so sorry, Puffy. Your father sounds like a wonderful Dad and Granddad.

{{{Hugs}}}

 
At 3/28/2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry Puffy. *hugs*

 
At 3/29/2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Augie, Monsty, Buggy, Moon, Silvergirl, and Jen (I loved typing all your names, all your aliases, feels like I'm in a secret club)--thanks for your good wishes and comforting words.

 
At 3/29/2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Lasann said...

How ya doing?

 
At 3/30/2006 9:23 AM, Blogger cq said...

awww the words of your daughter were very sweet. {{hugs}} to you and the fam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home