Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Name Dropping and What's in your Garage?

DAW alert. These are my recent celebrity sightings:
I was at a bris recently. So was the Chief Operating Officer of MySpace.com

Jay Leno is doing a benefit performance at our local high school. Proceeds will go to a family who suffered a house fire and to another family with a little boy with leukemia. We also have VIP tickets to see Leno on April 3.

Spotted by the Puffsters at a local golf tournament: Baseball Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith, Cal Ripken, and Dave Winfield.

To change the topic, what's in your garage? We always manage to squeeze in 2 cars. But in addition to the cars, we have: a vacuum cleaner, dust buster, step stool, cleaning supplies, lots of extra water, toilet paper, paper towels and napkins. We also keep our wrapping paper, party goods, and extra soda in the garage. Mr. Puffy's workbench is packed with the usual necessities. We have a few bikes, fertilizer, gardening tools, old toys and clothes, and work supplies. Holiday decorations, suitcases, and cooler bags also take up space. I can't believe the nice, tidy, empty garages I see when I drive around town.

Who's a packrat? Who hates to be owned by their clutter? I love to fill up the trash bin with garage clutter and sweep the floor clean. Well, Mr. Puffy does it, so I like to watch.

18 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 5:40 AM, Blogger arkie said...

I don't have a garage (previous owners closed it in).

 
At 3/09/2006 5:48 AM, Blogger Swami said...

In my garage I have two cars, a workbench, a shelf unit, a big storage cupboard thingie, the garbage can and the recycling box.

The workbench is one my father had, and has his painted labels on the little drawers--I love that bench. It is buried with tools & stuff.

The shelf unit contains some kitchen stuff I rarely use, like the big turkey roaster and my crockpot, as well as misc junk that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The large storage cupboard contains a bunch of garden stuff & seasonal decorations not in use. The bottom contains our gas can collection. For some reason, all our power stuff has it's own labelled gas can--riding mower, push mower, snow blower, leaf blower, chain saws, boat, jeez we have a lot of power tools! Those are all in the garage too except for the riding mower which has it's own little lean-to shed on the back of the garage. And the boat, of course.

One wall is lined with hooks and nails on which my garden tools hang. The other two walls have multiple shelves built in between every joist. Too much stuff there to name, but at least it looks fairly organized.

The garbage can & recycling have to live in the garage because that is the easiest way to keep dogs, racoons and the odd bear out of it.

In one corner we have a big Red Wing pottery container that hold misc stuff--baseball bats, canoe paddles, tree-trimming pole, walking sticks, garden stakes, etc.

I have nice garage doors and I keep them closed almost all the time!

 
At 3/09/2006 9:22 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Arkie, what do you do with all your "stuff?"

Hi Swami. I love our automatic garage door, never having to get out of the car to open or close it. Indispensible. We have shelves along the wall and attached to the ceiling, too. At least it's an organized mess.

 
At 3/09/2006 1:10 PM, Blogger Emily RugBurn said...

We don't have a garage (we don't own a car so it's working out okay!).

My parents are MAJOR packrats (think of the worst packrat you know and multiply it by infinity to the power of infinity, and THAT's my parents). When I moved out, I vowed to toss/give away the things I didn't need/hadn't used in a year or less. Thankfully there's a Goodwill on our street so I'm able to purge regularly (half their stock must be from our house).

Although, it's not always spick and span, a messy/cluttered house really stresses me out. I have recently noticed how much better I sleep when I crawl into bed knowing the house is in order.

Hm. I just read that last paragraph and I sound like a bit of a freak... DH would probably agree.

~ EmRB

 
At 3/11/2006 7:58 AM, Blogger Supes said...

If I can throw it away, it gets thrown away. Birth certificates, divorce decrees, whatever. Someone has a copy of it somewhere, I'm sure.

 
At 3/11/2006 9:22 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Yeh, and if I do save something important, I don't know where to find it when I need it.

 
At 3/11/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Hold on a sec, Supes. This is what I just read in your blog:

In a huge box that sits in the top of my closet are dozens of pictures taken in the delivery room.

Ahha, so you DO save the important stuff. Superman is human after all!

 
At 3/11/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger Swami said...

Wait. We have to be consistent from blog to blog? That is SO confining!

 
At 3/12/2006 8:10 AM, Blogger arkie said...

I have a storage area underneath my stairs, and that's where all the holiday decorations are. Other stuff is stored in the closet by the front door. It's funny, I have this room from where they closed the garage, and the only thing in it is one of Arkieboy's bikes.

 
At 3/12/2006 2:00 PM, Blogger Supes said...

Ffftt...that's the kid's box o' memories. I don't have one.

 
At 3/13/2006 6:58 AM, Blogger Lasann said...

I keep everything. When I had my house fire I had a pair of my uncle's golf shoes. Seriously, I don't know why. After the fire I had all intentions of keep 'things' to a minimum. In a short 3 years I've accumulated tons of 'things'.

 
At 3/13/2006 7:01 AM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I have no garage. I have no space. I really want some space because I need to find a better place to put the kitty litter than the bathroom.

Stupid cat.

 
At 3/14/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Syren said...

I. am not a packrat. I hate clutter, and right now my house is cluttered. Soon I will be going on one of my cleaning sprees and throwing stuff out. My rule, other than clothing if it has not been used in 6 months and is at the back of the closet, it goes to charity or the dump.

 
At 3/14/2006 4:47 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

The better question is: what isn't in my garage??? Well, Mr. Nutz is a mechanic and a race car driver, so there are 1000's of dollars worth of tools and car parts, plus space for the various rotating cars that come and go. Some are his cars, which he works on during the off-season (the '67 Corvette is currently undergoing "upgrades"). That's the race car.

The space is a two car plus a workshop with benches and shelves. He can fit three cars in if there's not a big mess of parts everywhere.

Our driveway is big enough for 8 cars (and it has been filled at times when we have visitors). Plus, he rents a chicken coop place in the next town over. He keeps the trailers there and him and his buddies keep their "projects" there.

If he ever dies? I am SOL! I have no idea how much all this crap is worth, much less could I ever move it anywhere!

His friends would hate me quickly because I'd be calling them to help identify the parts! *snort*

Oh! I really just came here to *smooch* you and see if there were any "Puffy's dad" updates. Still sending good thoughts!

 
At 3/14/2006 6:15 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Nutz, ebay would love you. For sale: a garage full of misc. parts.

Thanks for asking. My dad is not doing well. He is comfortably sedated and probably only has days to live. However, his last words to me were "I love you, too."

 
At 3/15/2006 1:30 AM, Blogger Chrissy (woe) said...

I have no garage. ((((((Puffy)))))

 
At 3/17/2006 10:11 PM, Blogger Silvergirl said...

We don't use our garage for car storage. It contains 2 table saws, a battery operated lawn mower, a workbench, an air bike (exercise bike), 18 speed bike, scooter, snow shovels, garden supplies, paint supplies, one of the van seats (2 seater), storage shelves with camping equipment, etc. etc.

 
At 3/19/2006 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Puffy, I can't even think about our garage these days. It is a mess, mess, mess. At least my car can go in there. But we have stuff, tons of stuff. And leaves, lots of leaves.

The garage is Michael's department. And he's too busy trying to get two other houses on the market to do anything with our house. So my garage is suffering, and my yard is suffering.

I know we're going to get some sort of memo and my chances of becoming Mayor of Pleasantville this year are slim to none.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home