Piano Man
Great concert! Billy Joel played for 2 1/2 hours (27 songs) without a break. When one of his beer-belly crew members in baggy shorts came on stage to sing AC/DC's "Highway to Hell," we thought Billy would take a break. But, no...he played back-up on guitar!There were 9 performers on stage. I hadn't realized how prominent the saxophone was in so many of his songs. The sax and trumpet players were fantastic! The piano rotated a few times so Billy could face different segments of the audience.
A small teleprompter was right on top of the piano and keyboards so Billy wouldn't forget the words. He even used it for his "ad-lib" comments between songs. One interesting note is that for "We Didn't Start the Fire," he wasn't at the piano. He was at the microphone, and had his eyes closed the whole time. I don't think he used a teleprompter when standing at the mike on stage, but I'm not sure. It sure looked like his eyes were closed, and not looking downward at words.
For his 2 encores, he played with the audience. He'd pretend to leave the stage, then turn around back to the piano. Each time he retreated, the audience booed, when he approached the piano, they cheered. It was funny. Boo-yay, boo-yay, boo-yay, etc.
For "Good Night Saigon," 6 soldiers were on stage and everybody cheered for them each time the lights shined on them.
One of the ushers gave us a copy of the playlist. It was sort of like the East Coast Update spoiler thread, knowing in advance what would happen. Loved it!

16 Comments:
Billy Joel is my favorite. I used to thibk Elton John was my favorite, but when I saw Elton and Billy Joel together a few years ago, Billy was so much better, he blew Elton John away!
After that concert, I couldn't think of any concert that could even come close to it. I decided I was done with concerts. Iw as done.
You know what they say.... once you've had the best.... :-)
Sounds like a great concert. Glad you enjoyed yourself Puffy.
I haven't had a chance to get to your blog lately so I wanted you to know how sorry I am to hear about your Dad. Your tribute was beautiful. *hugs*
MTW, I went to the Billy Joel/Elton John concert, too. Wow! Lights, thanks for the kind thoughts.
I've never seen him in concert. Glad you enjoyed it. I love live performances.
*still envious*
And Piano Man is one of my all-time favorite songs!
Lasann, who have you seen in live concerts? Swami, Piano Man was the 2nd and final encore.
What fun for you, Puffy! I've never been a big fan, but I love the songs "The Longest Time" and "Big Man on Mulberry Street". Oh, and "Allen Town" and "Pressure". OK, maybe I'm a moderate fan.
Puffy, my first concert was probably before you were born - Paul Revere and the Raiders. Then Led Zepplin. Then the 5th Dimension. Then James Brown twice. Let's see: Charlie Daniels, Alabama, Journey, Willie Nelson, Tim McGraw and Clint Black, Chicago, The Rollings Stones twice, Steve Perry, Tom Jones (snort), Johnny Mathis, Cher, Elton John, Larry Graham, The Jackson Five, and the best concert I've ever seen was Rod Stewart - no kidding he was great. That's all I can think of, I'm surprised that I even thought of those.
Hubby says BJ was one of the best concerts and that was about 12 years ago.
Jen.."BJ" was one of the best CONCERTS? LOL
Lasann..the concerts we have in common are: The Fifth Dimension, Rolling Stones, Elton John, and Rod Stewart. We may see Willie Nelson this summer.
Sounds like you had a great time!
Lucky you.
Billy Joel is cool, sounds like a fun concert.
Paul Revere and the Raiders? Jeez, Lasann, you must be as old as I am!
I just realized that I don't have any Billy Joel CDs. I will have to look for one to buy since I have his songs stuck in my head now. He does these songs way better than I do!
OH MY GOD I AM SO JEALOUS!
billy joel is my all-time favorite artist. there is absolutely no other artist's albums i would take on a desert island.
LOVE
dammit. did you pay a billion dollars? i want to see him so badly but i think i've missed that window...
cq-We bought the tickets through ticketmaster the morning they went on sale. All the tickets in the entire auditorium were the same price-pretty unusual.
We also bought a 2nd set of tickets and sold them on ebay for a profit. If you want to go to a concert, check ebay. We've bought concert tickets on ebay and never paid face value...always less. And no ticketmaster charge, either.
LOL-Concert Spoilers!
That's cool that the roadie came on to sing Highway to Hell & Billy played guitar!
Post a Comment
<< Home