Sunday, March 01, 2009

Trader Joes

Here's a great youtube ad for Trader Joes. It's unauthorized so the creator had to photograph it undercover.



If you're a regular Trader Joes shopper, you'll identify with the ad. If you're not, you'll understand what the rest of us are raving about.


OK, who was banned? I looked at the profiles and couldn't locate a couple of people who I suspected of being banned. What do you think? Do you know?


I see that it's bad-weather and mucho snow time on the East Coast. This is the type of damage that happened in my backyard recently. Today, we're outside, sitting on the lounge chairs. It's in the mid 70's and I'm wearing the pink T-shirt that Zombs sent to me in our T-shirt exchange.





Today we checked out the hotels we'll be at in China, on the internet. They all look very nice and modern, with lots of amenities. We're also checking into phone calling card rates from China to the U.S. My friend who went to China last year used one specific company. Their rates are 12 cents a minute! Can't beat that!

We finished our on-line tax forms for our CPA and emailed the filled-in info to him. He uses a program called E-Organizer. Now he needs to do his magic.

Here's my shy little girl.

11 Comments:

At 3/02/2009 9:37 AM, Blogger Swami said...

What! No more Ginger Soy dressing! That stuff is fantastic. I missed what kind of penises were sold in a braid. We don't sell that kind of thing here in the conservative Midwest. And yes - the clientele is far younger, hotter, and better-dressed than the clientele of any other grocery store.

People are getting banned again?

That's a tipped-over chair, Puffy. You just pick it up. It is not buried in snow or ice, melted by lightning, blown onto the neighbor's roof or gnawed on by wild dogs.

Today it is 8 degrees and I'm wearing the same pants I wore yesterday. The nice warm ones. Also? Later I will go swimming and then walk out to my car with wet(ish) hair despite the cold. I'm tough that way.

I always laugh at people who just use their own cell when they travel and then are all shocked when the phone bill is their most expensive trip category. You'll be buying a phone locally?

I have a CPA on retainer. He gives good backrubs too.

 
At 3/02/2009 4:59 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Yep, I found out who was banned.

*places patio chair upright*

I'm wearing sweats and it's in the 60's. I can't imagine going swimming in this (or your) weather though. My gym has a pool and I only go in it during the summer.

We won't be buying a local phone in China. We've used the MCI card from Costco which is about 2 cents a minute in the U.S. It was about 25 cents a minute from Eurpore and Australia. It would be 57 cents a minute in China.

My friend told me about "enjoyprepaid.com" which you can use in the U.S. for extremely reasonable rates (1-2 cents a minute) and from China for about 12 cents a minute. However, some of the hotels might not use their local access code, so we'd need to use a toll access code which would be about 34 cents a minute.

Mr. Puffy's office will absorb the cost of him using his blackberry, but it's very expensive (not sure of the price).

We emailed a few of the hotels. One replied that a local phone call costs $5 from the hotel and a toll phone call costs $20 (just for access, I think). Well, the cost of a room for the night at a 4-5 star hotel is only about $70, so the phone charges seem rather steep.

 
At 3/05/2009 8:49 PM, Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

I'm back in the blogworld! My PC was a piece of junk and too much work to try and visit blogs!

How fun- a trip to China! I swear you have been allover the world!

 
At 3/06/2009 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been in a Trader Joe's but I want to now! I think it's awesome all the traveling you do. What great memories.

 
At 3/06/2009 8:54 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Hi Puffy!
Geg, singer and mattben were banned from Blows.

I like Trader Joes, although ours is small and crowded. I like shopping there for party food and some of the prepared asian sauces and such. Oh-and Monsty turned me on to the Joe-Joe Oreo-like cookie. Yum! Otherwise I could take it or leave it (the location is really, really inconvenient which makes me care less about going there). When TJ's first opened here, it was like the POTUS was coming for a visit, everyone was so excited!

We almost hit 60 degrees today which was unseasonably warm and it's still rather balmy today. Yay!

Isn't it fun planning for vacation?

 
At 3/10/2009 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a Trader Joes, I just haven't ventured out there yet. Too many new places to shop. And you know I don't like change.

Last night the winds were swirling. I had opened our upstairs windows at the top (safety measure), and the wind swirled in and blew a picture frame off of the ledge in Conner's room. It was something his teacher made for him, so I willneed to get it fixed right away. Hopefully he won't tell her. *grin*

 
At 3/10/2009 2:26 PM, Blogger Lisa McMann said...

Hey Puffy, thanks for stopping by my bloggie!

Yep, I'll be all over Cali this trip. Here's my tour schedule:

http://lisamcmann.com/html/tour.php

 
At 3/10/2009 2:50 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3/12/2009 5:13 AM, Blogger Zombs said...

Our Trader Joe's are very small. Well I've been to two. Are they all small? Our's also does not sell wine. Just beer.

I have not been in such a long time. I do however read their circular cover to cover all the time.

 
At 3/12/2009 9:43 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Zombs, I think all the Trader Joe's stores are small. They're packed with merchandise which creates a frantic, fun atmosphere. Two-buck chuck (Charles Shaw wine for $1.99) is one of their staples. I wonder why yours doesn't carry wine. Their circular is fun to read! They don't really have "sales." The circular just reminds you of items they sell.

 
At 3/18/2009 10:37 AM, Blogger macgyver13 said...

It's funny... I ran into a Trader Joe's while in Maryland last summer, and it just didn't strike me as anything particularly special.

Am I missing out on something? Is there some kinda secret club I should be aware of? I feel like I'm missing out on something! Help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home