Monday, March 19, 2007

Puffy's Big Weekend




The weekend's list of events:

1. Car Rally. Our team came in 2nd place! It was so much fun. We had to decipher various puzzles, find about 8 different locations and then find someone to take our picture at each location. We also had to find about 10 scavenger hunt items. We got bonus points for finding a food product endorsed by a celebrity who wasn't Paul Newman. We found a box of Frosted Flakes with Johnny Depp on the box. We also got bonus points for including a fireman in the picture as we made a human pyramid at a firestation. I look forward to this every year.

2. Our car rally teammates were invited to a St. Patrick's day party so we tagged along. It was at the Kelly's house. Everything was green: the beer, the wine, the chips, and the dip. They had the traditional corned beef and cabbage, of course. Mrs. Kelly is an interior decorator. She uses what people already have in their home and rearranges things to make the house look great!

3. Griffith Park Observatory and Planetarium. This is a famous observatory that was closed down for 4 years for remodeling and renovations. $90 million later, it's an amazing place. They literally lifted up the previous building so they could add two floors of exhibits below ground.

4. Disney Concert Hall. This guy was playing his organ. *waves to HD and MTW*
A world-renowned organist (chair of the organ department at Juilliard) gave a performance on this world-renowned organ. It looked similar to those huge organs that you see in cathedrals, except it was made out of wood,.metal and lead. It took 2 years to build, and another year to get acclimated to the temperature and air inside the concert hall. It has 6,134 pipes ranging in size from 32 feet to a few inches. The organist said it's the best organ he's ever played. He played with both hands and with both feet! His feet were flying on the wooden pedals! Here's a picture of it.


Other than that, I didn't get much done at home. It was a full, fun weekend.

9 Comments:

At 3/19/2007 9:52 PM, Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

What a cool looking organ!

Car Rally sounds like lots of fun!

I was in MN on Saturday.. saw a few people wearing green.. I shoulda done.. My brother, who was with me, wore a tie he bought in Ireland for Dad's wedding, then the rest of the time wore a hat he got there as well. I think I was too busy feeling sorry for myself... just a little, to think about gettting "green"!

 
At 3/21/2007 1:20 AM, Blogger mm said...

WOW! Sounds like a fantastic weekend! The party and car rally sound cool. So, where is the pic of you in the human pyramid??

 
At 3/21/2007 8:50 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

As soon as our friends send us the pictures, I'll post a couple, MM.

*smooch* to mom

 
At 3/21/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Swami said...

You have more fun in a weekend than I have all year!

 
At 3/21/2007 9:13 PM, Blogger Paul said...

And I can't play my organ? *pout*

We had a car rally in college, and it was a blast. If only more cars were available at a Peep Meet, that would be a great activity!

 
At 3/22/2007 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Car Rally does sound fun. I would love to be in a big scavenger hunt. I think there was a movie long ago about a scavenger hunt. It may have even been called "Scavenger Hunt."

When I win the lottery I am going to organize one.

 
At 3/22/2007 9:24 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Boo, besides having to be solve clues and be at various locations in town, we had to find the following items:
a pre-1980 nickel, a safety pin, something slimy, a rubber band, a gumball, and a subscription card from a magazine (see Puffy almost get arrested for ripping one out of a magazine at a gas station).

 
At 3/24/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

Wow, what a fun weekend. A car rally sounds like a blast. My MIL and FIL got to do one in Europe a few years ago. So jealous. *grin*

 
At 3/26/2007 8:56 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

The Puffy's are always on the go!

I love car rallies. We've done a few and always do well. Chris is a whiz at that kind of stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home