Shower the People You Love With Love, Show Them the Way You Feel
We went to the James Taylor concert last night. It was in a small theater, seating 1900 people. It was so personal and he was so personable. He spoke and commented about his songs almost as much as he sang. He showed slides and videos and told funny stories about his career. He couldn't recall if he was Joni Mitchell's bitch or if she was his bitch.
He had a huge home-made drum set. "Have you ever taken apart a music box before? It's just like that--except it's 500 times bigger and plays the drums instead of a musical comb," Taylor says. "It makes a bass drum sound that is loud and deep and killer. I have a wood shop and I mostly fix things that the kids and myself have broken. I made the prototype and I took it to a cabinet shop owned by a man named Gordon Fairfield. He made the cabinets for my kitchen, and I showed him the prototype of it. He said, "Here's how to improve it." It evolved as we went along."
Only one keyboard player accompanied him. For a couple of songs, his wife's choir, The Tanglewood Festival Chorus, accompanied him on video. He told the history of "Sweet Baby James." He wrote it while driving from Canada back home to North Carolina. His sister had recently given birth to a son named James so he wanted to write a cowboy lullaby for the baby. Thus the lullaby and lyrics about snow on the turnpike near Boston. He was driving his first car, an English car, a Ford Cortina that he bought in 1968. This was right after his big break, signing with Apple records and the Beatles in 1968.
Taylor used both his between-song monologues and the slideshow to paint a sharper picture of himself than most fans have ever seen before. One moment occurred when he showed a picture of his father, who was absent during much of Taylor's childhood years. He shared his heartfelt memories of those days, which added new meaning to the next number, "Mean Old Man."
At the end of intermission, and after each of the 4 encores, he shook hands with audience members and signed autographs. I felt like we were in his own den, listening to some great music and watching some family videos.

13 Comments:
I enjoyed the duet JT did with Mark Knopfler ("Sailing to Philadelphia") a few years back.
I don't think I've seen or heard that duet. I'll have to look for it online.
Wow. I'd love to go to a concert like that!
MTW- James Taylor was at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco the week before he was in L.A. I assume that the Orpheum is a small venue, too. The intimacy of the concert sure spoiled me against going to large stadium-type venues in the future.
Ditto to MTW! I was going to say the SAME thing! I think I would LOVE a James Taylor concert!
That sounds wonderful, Puffy! I love small venues - especially for theater and concerts.
It's on Knopfler's album of the same name. He also has a duet with Van Morrison.
Sounds amazing!
Love JT!
Was that 405 picture from the other posting, looking south?
Hi Buggy! Yes, you know the location. It's on the 405, overlooking the San Fernando Valley. Come and visit!
Next time James Taylor is in town, I'm inviting MTW, Mom2, Swami, Buggy, and Cyg.
Whew, I was afraid I didn't recognize the right Vally.
Someday, i'll be back.
Wow, sounds fantastic. That's what I look for at concerts: something that tells me more about the artist.
Sometimes I get bashed for expecting that at concerts. If I just wanted to watch the band run around on stage, I'd watch some music videos.
Sounds like you had an amazing time, Puffy. What a cool experience! Did you take any pictures? (Were you allowed to?)
Em, I tried to take pictures with my cell phone camera but the lighting on the stage makes them overexposed. It's just too bright.
Post a Comment
<< Home