Monday, December 19, 2005

Lotsa Latkes


Mr. Puffy and I made 100 potato latkes yesterday. We have a smooth-running system that we've used for years. We cover the entire kitchen with wax paper and open up the windows. I wash the potatoes. Mr. Puffy cuts them and mixes/blends all the ingredients: potatoes, onions, eggs, matzah meal, and salt. I start up the frying pans and cook them as Mr. Puffy keeps adding more batches to the bowl of uncooked latkes. I put the latkes on paper towels and paper bags so some of the oil will come out. Mr. Puffy cuts up sheets of wax paper and puts the finished latkes in tupperware, between the sheets of wax paper. We pick up all the wax paper from all the counter tops and Mr. Puffy cleans up! Voila!

A few years ago the Reynolds Co. had a contest for the best essay telling how we use their wax paper. I wrote it all out, then realized it had to be in 25 words or less. Kinda hard to do.

13 Comments:

At 12/19/2005 4:14 PM, Blogger mm said...

Wow! I never really knew what went into them until I read this. Sounds yummy!

 
At 12/19/2005 4:49 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

I made a few batches of lemon cream cheese bars this afternoon. I like them lots better than regular lemon bars.

 
At 12/19/2005 4:55 PM, Blogger mm said...

Oh geez, that sounds wonderful.

*sticks fingers in ears*

I can't have that stuff! Stop torturing me!

 
At 12/19/2005 6:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, I want some.

 
At 12/20/2005 1:48 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

I think you can spare a few latkes *grin*

We should get together and make latkes and perogies. Now that would be a production LOL.

 
At 12/20/2005 2:24 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Nookie
My family used to own a Russian restaurant and I LVOE perogies!

 
At 12/20/2005 3:34 PM, Blogger volsfan said...

YUM YUM YUM!

 
At 12/21/2005 7:11 AM, Blogger Schnookie said...

How cool Puffy! I LOVE perogies. *drool*

 
At 12/21/2005 4:39 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Mmmmm! I lvoe latkes! I really miss a lot of the food my MIL used to make. Especially her matzo ball soup! ...and her stuffed cabbage! ...and... *sigh* now I'm hungry!

 
At 12/22/2005 4:14 AM, Blogger yvonne said...

I'll send you my address. *grin*

 
At 12/23/2005 6:27 AM, Blogger Syren said...

Just stopping in to wish you a wonderful Holiday time.

 
At 12/24/2005 5:29 AM, Blogger Zombs said...

I love latkes and the smell of them cooking!

Great idea about the wax paper!

 
At 12/24/2005 9:35 PM, Blogger Seana said...

I've never had latkes. Now I want one. And some perogies. Deep-fried, with melted cheddar and sour cream. Oh, I can feel my arteries clogging already.

Mmmmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home