"Disposable briefs available upon request"
Yep, that's the sign in the women's bathroom at the Palm Springs, California Follies.
The Follies is a wonderful 3-hour show featuring people from the ages of 54-84. Music and dance, mostly tap dancing, from the 30's, 40's, and 50's were presented by a cast of former movie, TV and broadway performers. One 84-year old dancer is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's oldest showgirl. All the women had the greatest legs! One of the men was a dancer for 12 years on the Carol Burnett show. Another man was General Tom Thumb in "Barnum" on Broadway. Those old hoofers can really dance! A dog act and an impressionist rounded out this variety show. The closing act was a patriotic number. All the veterans in the audience stood up. It was emotional.
I guess that the audience age averaged about 75 years old. Some of my favorite lines:
- We request that the "red hat ladies" remove their hats.
- There were a group of street walkers and only one of them was arrested. It was the 84-year old street walker. She was the only one actually using a walker.
- Everyone who takes viagra raise your hand. (The emcee looks around; no hands are raised) Look! They can't even get their hand up!
- (The emcee was talking to a young woman, about 30 years old, in the audience) He said, "I suppose you're the one who drove, right? You must be the "seeing-eye" young person.
- (The emcee pointed to a woman in the audience" You! The lady who does her own hair.
- The show ended at 10 pm. The emcee said, "The last time you've been up this late was when you went to the emergency room.
It was the most enjoyable show that I've been to in a long time!
We spent the night in Palm Springs. The hotel had Showtime so I watched Big Brother After Dark. How borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrringggggggggggggg!

10 Comments:
LMAO at the sign on the bathroom. Too funny :-)
sounds like a real fun evening Puffy.
I thought of you, Nookie, with the sign in the bathroom. *giggle*
So how many disposables did you need, lol? The viagra line might have made me want one - too funny!
I love shows like that. I must be old.
Not that I'm calling you old!!!!
I'd say I put my foot in my mouth, but I don't think I can do that anymore with this knee replacement.
*snort* Those were some great lines, Puffy! *wonders if I'm one of the old ones now...*
I sat in the 1st row of the balcony. All I saw below me was a sea of white hair and bald heads.
sounds too fun!!
You are still the coolest person I know. You do the most interesting things.
that sounds like fun, puffy!!! You do such a great job of describing things.
Post a Comment
<< Home