Wanna Trade?
I read a book review that got me to thinking...
In "One Red Paperclip," Kyle MacDonald tells the true story of how he came up with an idea on the lines of a game called "Bigger and Better." This is a combination of a scavenger hunt and trick-or-treating. He posted on Craig's List, offering to trade a paper clip for something that he could eventually swap for a house.
Over the next year, he made more than a dozen trades. He swapped a camp stove for a generator, then an "instant party," a snowmobile, a trip to British Columbia, a cargo van, a recording contract, a year's rent on a duplex in Phoenix, an afternoon with Alive Cooper, a KISS snow globe, a small role in a Corbin Bernsen movie. In July 2006, he made his final trade, swapping the movie role for a small house in Saskatchewan!
Sooooooo, who wants to trade? I have a cool pen here. It's orange, it says "Cingular Wireless" on it, with the Cingular logo. The best part is that it has a white string on it, so you can wear the pen around your neck! All the cool kids are wearing them now.
Cleo is playing "Vanna White" and displaying the pen for your viewing pleasure. Any takers?

19 Comments:
I've got 2 kids to trade. Your pick of the 3.
Hmmmm. Wellll. How generous. Uhhhh. Something went wrong with this game very quickly.
I've got an empty Aquafina water bottle I will trade for your pen.
OK, bugmeat. I'll refill the Aquafina bottle with "good" bottled water.
*looks around her office*
How about a nice ruler? I have clear, clear & black together and basic, sexy black.
I've got a used Slinky that I'll trade for your Aquafina bottle of GOOD water!
I've got a kitten I will trade for the Slinky.
Ack! I can't decide.
Swami, I have several old wooden rulers, but I rarely use them anymore. If I use a ruler, it's usually just to draw a straight line.
Mom, I love slinkys! Are there any kinks in it?
Arkie, send your kitten now!!! As soon as I get the slinky, I'll trade for the kitten. I don't think Mom2 is into cats. I think a cat can definitely be traded up. Woo hoo!
Puffy is correct, Mom is not into cats... we have a beagle.
Slinky is pretty kink-free!
WTF is that above me?
I would trade a beaded neck pass holder with magnets to hold it together in the back. One magnet is loose though.
Wow, that's the longest, most meaningless blog spam I have ever seen! Wht did you have to trade for that!?!
Ack! I forgot how to remove a comment.
Lasann, I like the idea of a magnetic backing to the neck pass holder. No need to mess up your hair when putting it on or off. Perhaps Swami could use it, with her long hair.
Swami, how do I get rid of the long spam? One of those links has the word "Hilton" in the address so maybe Paris Hilton is reading my blog. *flips head back*
OK, I saw the little trash can and I deleted the long spam. Now Lasann's and Swami's comments look strange. *shrug* Oh well, here Swami, have a magnetic beaded neck pass holder.
*tilts head*
*looks at Swami and Lasann like they're crazy*
I have a soup can on my desk with a label that says "Success comes in cans, not in cannots". Do you want to trade for something?
Oooh, I like that phrase. I'll trade you for: "If a man says something and there are no women around, is he still wrong?" I also liked the one that went something like this: "I won't bother getting married. I'll just buy a house and give it to a woman."
No tradie! Have you seen my Profile question?
Well, maybe they don't need them, but don't you think that some fish might like a bicycle?
I'll trade you my profile question for something.
I have a packie from Carey for being Comeback Player of the Year.
Okay, so where do you stand on this trade up thing?
What do you have now?
All I know is that I still don't have a new house.
Post a Comment
<< Home